Monday, February 9, 2015

Chocolate Crepe Suzette

Chocolate. Crepe. Suzette. Need I say more? Well, ok I should probably mention two things: one, that crepes suzette is a dish with an orange-y caramel sauce; and two, that I've been planning this dish since I found out I would be hosting chocolate month on my favorite G+ group, Foodies+. I was so excited I immediately started to plan my chocolate dishes. I thought about how well orange goes with chocolate and hit upon the idea of making chocolate crepes with an orange sauce. I didn't get any pictures of the flambee (with the abundance of other ingredients in the sauce it flamed kind of a disappointing amount), but I did manage to cut a cute heart and star out of the squeezed out orange shell. I you've never formed crepes before they do take a little practice. Ladle the batter in the center, then swirl gently in a circular motion to spread the batter outward. If you can get this technique down you can create perfectly thin crepes with delicate edges. In no time at all you'll be turning out professional looking crepes. A crepe pan isn't absolutely necessary, but it is a big help. If you don't have one a frying pan will do; the lighter the pan the better.

Chocolate Crepes Suzette


Makes 6 crepes (if every drop of batter is used)

For the crepes:

3/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon AP Flour
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
3 Tablespoons powdered baking chocolate
1 Tablespoon super fine caster sugar


1. Whisk eggs, then add milk. Whisk together, then add flour and incorporate.
2. Add chocolate powder and sugar and whisk in. Lastly, whisk butter.
3. Set aside for at least 1/2 hour. Meanwhile, make the sauce (see recipe below).
4. When the batter has sat for 30 minutes, heat a light frying pan and add enough butter to cover the bottom and sides.
5. When the butter is sizzling, add a full soup ladle full of batter into the pan toward the center. Swirl gently to spread the batter to the outer edges of the pan. Cook until starting to brown, 1 - 2 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 1 - 2 minutes. Set aside on a plate and repeat with remaining batter until it is used up.

For the sauce suzette:

4 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons sugar
Zest of 1/2 orange
Juice of 1 orange
2 Tablespoons cointreau or grand marnier
1 Tablespoons cognac
1 pinch salt

1. Melt butter in heavy bottomed sauce pan over low heat.
2. Add orange zest, sugar, and a pinch of salt and allow to melt, whisking occasionally, about 10 minutes.
3. Add liquor and ignite. Alcohol will burn off, allowing sugar to finish caramelizing.
4. Add fresh orange juice. Stir to incorporate.
5. Serve over chocolate crepes and finish with some good quality chocolate, grated.


I hope you enjoy this recipe and I welcome your feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment